There is a certain virus that prevents XP users from opening http://www.orkut.com from any of the available browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc).
For many Orkut addicts, it is nearly impossible to live without Orkutting.
So here we have the solution for your problem.
Follow the steps exactly as written here and in the same sequence.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. Open the Task Manager and go to Processes.
- Look for svchost.exe under the image name. Find the ones that have your username under the Username tab.
- Press DEL to kill these processes. Click Yes to ignore the warning.
- Repeat for more svchost.exe files with your username and repeat. Be careful not to kill svchost.exe with system, local service or network service.
- Now go to My Computer.
- In the address bar, type “C:\heap41a” and press Enter. Delete all the files in here.
- Now go to Start. Click Run and type “Regedit“.
- In the menu bar click Edit and then click Find.
- Type “heap41a” and press Enter.
- The display will show you the following:
“[winlogon] C:\heap41a\svchost.exe C:\heap(some number)\std.txt”
- Press DELand click Yes to ignore the warning.
- Close the Registry Editor.
BANG! The virus would be gone!
Note: Please format all your pen drives because the virus might be hidden in there in a microsoft.exe autorun.inf file, which you might not be able to find. This would mean you should repeat the whole procedure above. (After the pendrive is formatted.)
Now you should be able to access Orkut without much trouble!