I once had a situation where I had to create an interesting PowerPoint presentation but I had no access to interesting graphics or visuals. I was not allowed to take images off the web or use stock photography due to some constraints at my work place. So I invented this fun method to make cute little animations by using Webdings and Wingdings fonts.
Follow these steps to make your own animations:
1. Go to “Start” menu and click “Run”
2. Type “Charmap”
3. From the “Font” list, select “Webdings” or “Wingdings 1, 2, 3”
4. Select a character that you want to animate, from the table of characters and copy it to the clip board by clicking “Copy”. You can also press CTRL+C.
5. Open MS- PowerPoint
6. Right- click on a blank slide and paste the font. You can also press CTRL+V. If the font changes to an arbit square or a martian hieroglyphic, select it and apply the correct font from the PowerPoint font list.
7. Select the character and enlarge the font size to “72” or more. Now the character will be clearly visible as an image.
8. Change the color of the font, if required.
9. Select other characters and repeat the same procedure.
10. Right-click each of the characters and select “Save as Picture”. (This can be a little tricky if you do not select the character properly. Don’t select the font but the whole character.)
11. Type a name and save the characters as image files.
12. In the “Insert” menu, select “Insert Picture” and insert the saved images.
13. Animate each image by using “Custom Animation”
14. Play your slideshow to check the animation.
You can find a simple PPT animation I created by using this method, in the following link:
Download from Google Docs (otherwise you cannot see the animation). This download is not required to understand the method.
Feel free to post questions/doubts in the Comments section.