Category Archives: Uncategorized
Manually Crash Windows XP (Source: The Straight Dope)
Windows-XP has a “feature” (???) with which it is possible to manually crash a system by simply holding the right CTRL key and pressing the “Scroll Lock” key twice. This feature can be turned on by the following steps:
1. Start regedit. 2. Navigate to:
3. Create a new DWORD value and name it CrashOnCtrlScroll
4. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
5. Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK.
6. Close regedit and reboot your system.
7. Now you can blue screen (crash) your system by holding the right CTRL key and pressing “Scroll Lock” twice.
Your system may reboot or show a blue screen whenever this crash is initiated. If your system reboots after initiating the crash, and you want to see the blue screen, follow these steps:
1. Go to Control Panel > System
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.
4. Under System failure, uncheck the option Automatically restart.
Source: The Straight Dope
Some people say Google Talk is nice because of its minimalistic design, but they don’t want to use an Instant Messenger that doesn’t have smileys and font customization. Here are some tips that will make your work with Google Talk better.
* CTRL + Mousewheel up/down: Change the font size in a conversation window.
* CTRL + E: Center text
* CTRL + R: Right justify text
* CTRL + L or CTRL+J: Left justify text
* F9: Open Gmail to send an email to the person you talk to
* F11: Start a call
* F12: Stop the current call
* ESC: Close the current window
* Some smileys are converted by Google Talk: 😐 :-O 😡 😛 😀 😉 😦 🙂 B-) 😥 😐 :O 😡 😛 😀 🙂 😦 🙂
* To write bold text, type *your gtalk message*
* To write italic text, type _your gtalk message_
Startup parameters (go to Start/Run and type “c:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe” /one_parameter_from_the_list_below)
* /nomutex: allows you to open more than one instance of Google Talk.
* /register: write Google Talk settings in the registry.
* /checkupdate: check for new version.
* /factoryreset: revert to default settings.
* /mailto email@example.com: send an email with Gmail.
* /diag: start Google Talk in diagnostic mode.